130 COUNTRIES HAVE PRIVACY LAWS WITH ACTIVE ENFORCEMENT AND FINES CREATING COMPLEX ‘DATA CONTROLLER AND PROCESSOR’ RESPONSIBILITIES IN ADDITION TO CROSS-BORDER DATA RULES. THIS REGULATORY LANDSCAPE ENTAILS CONSIDERABLE RISKS FOR iGAMING OPERATORS AROUND PLAYER DATA.
Implications for Online Gamblers
- Enhanced Transparency: Online gambling platforms must be transparent about how they collect, use, and share personal data.
- Consent and Control: Online gamblers have the right to provide informed consent for the processing of their personal data.
- Security Measures: Online gambling operators must implement robust security measures to safeguard the personal data of their users.
- Cross-Border Data Transfers: If personal data is transferred outside of the local country, online gambling platforms must ensure that the recipient country offers an adequate level of data protection.
Compliance Challenges for Online Gambling Platforms
The implementation of the GDPR/LGPD/CCPA has posed significant challenges for online gambling platforms globally. Some challenges include:
- Data Mapping: Online gambling platforms need to conduct thorough data mapping exercises to identify the personal data they collect, store, and process. This includes data from user registrations, financial transactions, and responsible gambling measures.
- Consent Management: Obtaining valid consent from online gamblers can be challenging. Platforms must design user-friendly consent mechanisms that clearly explain the purposes and consequences of data processing.
- Vendor Management: Online gambling platforms often rely on third-party vendors for various services
Value Privacy can help
- Global Enterprise Data Privacy with powered by the OneTrust platform
- Consent, Data Mapping, Research & Readiness, 3rd Party Risk, GRC, DSAR Mgt, ESG
- Provider Solutions: scalable privacy programs that support client programs worldwide.
- Operator Solutions: provides reputation and regulatory risk management. Scalable for growth in new markets.
- Privacy Enables Revenue opportunities for data sales through our “Privacy Now” framework.
- Manage and safeguard data, navigate global privacy laws for you, and prepare your data for new regulations.
- iGaming Privacy Certification Program: to meet regulatory, insurance and other legal requirements.
- Partner with you for data security, privacy & insights.
- Engage employees with interactive privacy and security training courses
Virtual DPO service
What a virtual DPO through Value Privacy offers you:
- A full privacy compliance report (Gap Analysis) against any global privacy requirement (GDPR, LGPD, CCPA)
- Privacy remediation services
- Health checks and internal audits
- An annual review and update of internal documentation
- Advice on legislation including changes
- Access to globally recognised privacy platforms (OneTrust, TrustArc)
The DPO role depending on the size and nature of your business is not always a full time role, however, it does require privacy and data protection expertise. Having flexible access to an experienced and knowledgeable data privacy expert can be a cost-effective solution for improving information security and compliance with the ever increasing global data privacy/protection laws. Failing to protect personal data can not only lead to significant financial penalties from, but also risks reputational damage to your organisation.
By following tested and established best practices, an outsourced DPO helps to protect the data your organisation processes on your customers, suppliers and employees keep your organisation informed and advised about data protection and where necessary, cooperate with regulators on your behalf.
Get in touch with us today. There are many ways you can contact us with any queries.